l Foods, healthcare products industry
1. Low hygroscopicity, strong moisture holding capability, inhibit starch aging, enhance anti-freeze capability
1) Inhibit foods’ moisture absorption, especially for food that contains less water, could stabilize its quality, prevent deforming and becoming sticky
Applications: snacks, cereal, rice flour pastry, candy, spices, cookies, waffle, solid drinks, milky candy, bean paste, dried seafood, dried fish, laver, etc.
2) Trehalose is stable in acidic foods, does not break down into glucose and fructose to enhance the product's moisture absorption
Applications: hard candy, soft candy, filled candy, jelly, juice drinks, sports drinks, etc.
3) Trehalose replace sucrose to be a surface decoration of foods, does not absorb moisture to melt and become sticky
Applications: bread, cookies, bakery foods, donut, puff, pie, coated tablet, pudding, etc.
4) Jelly produced with trehalose contains much moisture, appearance is moist, but not absorb moisture, fruit flavor and fragrance outstanding, not sweet greasy
5) Trehalose has the good moisture-holding capability. It slows down the migration of molecular chains, reduces the aging rate of starch, improves freeze performance of starch
Applications: bread, steamed bread, steamed stuffed bun, noodle, other foods that contain starch
6) Trehalose has low hygroscopicity, does not cause the Maillard reaction, suitable to be excipient for tablet foods
Application: flaky pastry, sugar tablet, milk tablet, vegetable tablet, fruit tablet, tablet candy, etc.
2. Heat resistance, acid resistance, improved freezing performance, trehalose is the most stable of natural disaccharide
1) Use trehalose in hot drinks, help enhance drinks’ stability, inhibit beverage turbidity due to high temperature
2) In acidic beverages, trehalose can exist stably, not break down and no Maillard reaction
3) Trehalose can replace sucrose, reduce the freezing point of ice cream and other frozen products. It can be used in frozen food and frozen candy to produce new icing, and produce a unique and delicious flavor
4) Trehalose is stable, but can be digestive absorption by body, replace indigestible sugar alcohol and oligosaccharides to prevent diarrhea
Application: acidic foods, acidic drinks, hot drinks, coffee, ice cream, foods that need high-temperature treatment in production, other foods that need heat and freeze, etc.
3. No colorability, trehalose does not cause the Maillard reaction
1) Trehalose is a kind of non-reducing saccharide, does not cause Maillard reaction which will cause browning
2) Use trehalose in fried foods, inhibit Maillard reaction, prevent fried foods from being too dark, make foods not absorb moisture and not discolor
Applications: flaky pastry, sugar tablet, milk tablet, vegetable tablet, fruit tablet, fried foods, fried snacks, etc.
4. High glass transition temperature, high stability, prevent dental caries
1) Trehalose’s glass transition temperature is 115℃
2) Add trehalose in food, it can enhance foods’ glass transition temperature, which makes food in a more stable state, help to keep food fresh, easy for storage
3) Trehalose does not produce insoluble glucan in mouth, inhibit the adhesion of insoluble glucan produced by sucrose, prevent dental caries
Applications: candy with plenty of juice, honey candy, xylitol candy, sucrose-free candy, filled liquid candy, snack candy, soft candy, jelly, fruit candy, vegetable candy, milk candy, other candies, etc.
5. Prevent protein denaturation and lipid oxidation, protect biological activity
1) Enhance the survival rate of microorganism, maintain long-term stability of live bacteria
Applications: probiotics (clostridium butyricum, lactobacillus, bifidobacterium, actinomycetes, saccharomycetes, etc.), prebiotics, synbiotics, etc.
2) Trehalose can stabilize liposomes, maintain the integrity of its structure in dry state, as a liposome freeze-dried protectant
3) Trehalose can protect enzyme’s activity in low temperature and high temperature environment, prolong preservation time
4) Trehalose stabilizes protein structure, inhibit protein denaturation during heating, freezing, stirring, drying, or pH changing
Applications: milk products, beans products, egg products, seafood products, meats products, enzyme products, etc.
5) Trehalose inhibits oxidative decomposition of unsaturated fatty acids in edible oils or fatty foods, prevent the production of sour and sour taste, prolong shelf life
6) Non-frying handling of vegetables and meat, soaking of vegetables and fruits, long-distance transportation of seafood, trehalose keeps the organization stable and fresh
Applications: puffed food, dry fruit snacks, dry vegetable snacks, long-distance transportation of vegetables, fruit, seafood, etc.
6. Modify or cover the taste, improve, remove or enhance foods’ special smell and taste
1) Enhance the aroma of some foods, the flavor of seafood soup and saline taste
Applications: fruit jam, pickles, fermented blank bean, chilli paste, etc.
2) Soften and cover bad flavors, reduce astringent and bitter taste, ease acidity
Applications: coffee, chocolate, tea drinks, juice drinks, beer, etc.
3) Improve the sweet taste of other sweeteners, like cover the lingering bitterness of stevioside
Applications: compound sweeteners (stevioside, sucrose, aspartame, saccharin, etc.)
4) Remove and cover unpleasure flavor of some food, like Vitamin B, Chinese herb, fermented flavor, rancid flavor
Applications: Vitamin B supplements, herb supplements, canned food, etc.
5) Inhibit and cover the fishy smell of seafood, milk, eggs products, beans products, and keep them fresh, improve their taste
Applications: milk products, eggs products, beans products, seafood products, and transportation of seafood, milk, eggs products, beans products
6) Prevent sour and sour taste from edible oil and fatty food
7. Lasting and stable energy source, does not cause rapid and sharp change of blood sugar and insulin
1) Trehalose is broke down into glucose to be absorbed by body, and blood sugar rises slowly, peaks are low, and drops slowly
2) After eating trehalose, the secretion of insulin has not obvious high peaks
l Cosmetics industry
1. Strongly moisturize capacity, keep skin epithelial cells moist even in extreme environments
1) In dry environment, trehalose forms a special protective membrane on the cell surface, bound molecule, strongly lock water
2) Trehalose can replace the water in skin cells when the skin loses water, protect skin cells from being damaged, increase the survival rate of cells
1) Trehalose enhances the anti-radiation ability of DNA, reduce DNA chain’s break
2) Radiation causes water molecule to break down into free radical OH. Trehalose can remove free radicals OH, prevent DNA from being cut
3. Protect active ingredients in cosmetics
1) Trehalose can protect active ingredients in cosmetics, such as protein, peptides, etc., which makes the activity of the ingredients can be preserved for a long time at room temperature
2) Trehalose stabilize variously active natural anti-oxidants in cosmetics
4. Inhibit the characteristic body odor of the elderly
When people get old, the fatty acids in sebum are increased, which produces volatile aldehydes after breaking down. This causes the characteristic body odor of the elderly. Trehalose has obvious inhibition function to this kind of characteristic body odor
5. Enhance skin’s absorption ability to nutrition ingredients
Trehalose has good compatibility and stability with membrane protein, can be used as skin penetrant in cosmetics, enhance skin’s absorption ability to nutrition ingredients
6. Prolong cosmetics’ shelf life
Fatty acids and esters in cosmetics will naturally break down and produce volatile aldehydes, which causes cosmetics produce undesirable odors and discoloration. Trehalose can efficiently inhibit the oxidative rancidity of fatty acids and esters, which helps prolong the shelf life of cosmetics
7. Prevent dental caries
Trehalose does not produce insoluble glucan in mouth, inhibits the adhesion of insoluble glucan produced by sucrose, prevent tooth decay
Applications: ointment, cream, essence, toner, facial mask, hair mask, shampoo, foundation make-up, hair conditioner, hair spray, facial cleanser, hand cream, lipstick, toothpaste, mouth wash, oral aromatic, etc.
Trehalose formulated with hyaluronic acid is widely used in anti-wrinkle cosmetics, sunscreen cosmetics, facial mask, eye pad, etc., and the function is really good.
Trehalose has good compatibility, solubility and stability, which can be added into emulsion system directly, not affected by temperature and pH, and also has good compatibility with other active ingredients.
l Agriculture industry
Enhance the anti-adversity ability of plant seeds, prolong the flowering period of fresh flower
1) Use trehalose to handle plant seed, which can improve their anti-adversity, and increase seed germination rate under low temperature, high salt and high permeation environment
2) Use trehalose solution to soak fresh flower, which can prolong the flowering period of fresh flower, and bring more commercial value to horticulture business
l Animal feed
1. Trehalose forms a vitreous protective film during bacterial drying, which can effectively protect cells from damage
Applications: Trehalose is widely used as freeze-drying protectant, which can improve the survival rate of lactobacillus plantarum for silage feed
2. Trehalose is widely used as enzyme protectant, which can effectively improve the thermal stability of phytase enzyme in feed materials and improve the enzyme activity retention rate of phytase enzyme
3. Trehalose can effectively promote the growth and reproduction of Lactobacillus enterus and bifidobacterium in animals (such as poultry, livestock, fish, shrimp, crab, pets, etc.), optimize the composition of intestinal microorganisms, improve the digestion ability of animals, effectively promote animal growth, increase daily weight gain, reduce feed to meat ratio and death rate, improve meat quality and increase protein content in muscle.
Applications: 0.1% trehalose added to broiler feed can significantly improve broiler meat quality and achieve the best effect
4. Trehalose can effectively reduce NH3-H (ammonia nitrogen) content in aquatic feces, reduce water pollution, do not affect the growth and reproduction of aquatic products (fish, shrimp, crab, etc.)